Questions about Cityoftitans.com

General information about the boards, Missing Worlds Media, or the Phoenix Project

Questions about Cityoftitans.com

Postby Sailboat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:37 am

Regarding the "new" site -- still not sure if I should be sending people there or here to read/post.

Also, the forums there appear to require a new user registration. Could they be adapted to accept one's Titan Network Key? Kind of surprised it didn't work.
Sailboat

Re: Questions about Cityoftitans.com

Postby Zombie Man » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:17 pm

We really should start migrating over there.

The new site does require new registration if one is newly registered here. The accounts here were cloned to over there a few months ago.

We are separate from the Titan Network. The Titan Network was kind enough to host the organization of the various 'Plan Zs' in their infancy, but they are distinct entities.

-Zombie Man, Online Community Manager
Zombie Man
Online Community Manager

Postby Roadkill » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Could we please just migrate the CityOfTitans website to the Missingworldsmedia domain? The way I see it, City of Titans is not the name of the game and essentially from the perspective of an outsider looking in, does not pertain to our game in any sort of way, whereas Missingworldsmedia obviously does. Cityoftitans can be misleading, which is the last thing we want when we're about to have our kickstarter and start really getting our name our there.
Roadkill

Postby Sailboat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:37 am

Zombie Man wrote: The accounts here were cloned to over there a few months ago.

Well, my join date here is apparently March 15. If the accounts were cloned to over there a few months ago, shouldn't there be a Sailboat account there? There is not (at least, not with the password I use here.)

I know I keep nagging about the forum switch. My reason is that I am trying to set up a comprehensive post for my gaming group summarizing the current state of the various COH recovery projects, and I want to give people useful info that will not leave them feeling baffled or unsuccessful. Ideally I would have THE forum to send them to, and not have to hedge around with things like "but I go to missingworldsmedia for some info as well" or what have you.

My hope is to direct a lot of lost souls toward the new project(s), ideally before the Kickstarter.
Sailboat

Postby Zombie Man » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:22 am

Sorry, I've been saying "a few months ago" for the past two months. The cloning took place five months ago, and you just missed the clone.

The plan is for the new site to be *the* site starting with Kickstarter and moving forward. I'll be aggressively shutting down any KS discussions here just so it isn't spread out over two sites... other than the new site and Facebook.
Zombie Man
Online Community Manager

Postby Felderburg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:38 am

Zombie Man wrote:The plan is for the new site to be *the* site starting with Kickstarter and moving forward. I'll be aggressively shutting down any KS discussions here just so it isn't spread out over two sites... other than the new site and Facebook.

I really hope the new site will be a bit more functional, then. The forums still seem to act up a bit, and the home page here (base url missingworldsmedia.com) looks WAY better than CoT (cityoftitans.com). MWM has cool colors and graphics, while CoT still looks like a generic Wordpress blog.
Felderburg

Postby Roadkill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:21 pm

I understand the site looking the way it does (I've done web design), so that's not my concern, my concern is the relation between the domain name and Missing Worlds Media. We have no affiliation with anything with the name "City of Titans" in it, as a dev, I understand why we use that name, but if someone were to be trying to find us or hear about us for the first time, it makes no sense.
Roadkill

Postby Felderburg » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am

Roadkill wrote:I understand the site looking the way it does (I've done web design), so that's not my concern, my concern is the relation between the domain name and Missing Worlds Media. We have no affiliation with anything with the name "City of Titans" in it, as a dev, I understand why we use that name, but if someone were to be trying to find us or hear about us for the first time, it makes no sense.

I think that people in the know are going to understand, and anyone who hears about the project for the first time through Kickstarter won't know or care one way or the other. Most companies don't make game names that have much relation to their name either, so I'm not sure what the issue is there. Besides, it seems like everyone is going to be directed to CoT and might not even be aware of MWM at all, so it's still not an issue.

I'm just concerned about running a Kickstarter right after setting up a new website. Everyone says "it'll be great, it runs on Drupal, we can do so much with it!" But being able to do great things with it doesn't matter if those great things haven't been done yet. I just think that MWM presents a much more professional looking site compared to CoT. That might change, but it is a concern when the project is trying to collect individuals who have no previous connection to the project like us. Not everyone has done web design and will understand why the site looks like a generic wordpress blog - they'll be thinking twice about giving money to a company who's website is still in the stages of getting set up.
Felderburg

Postby Beamrider » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:07 pm

This forum is being held together with duct tape and bailing wire- if the KS directed people here, it might fall apart.
Beamrider

Postby Rezelius » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Beamrider wrote:This forum is being held together with duct tape and bailing wire- if the KS directed people here, it might fall apart.

I have no doubt of the "behind the scenes" issues with the MWM website and I 100% understand the need to move to a new website and forums.

I think the concern of a lot of people stems from the fact that most of the features of the new site either aren't activated, or don't work.
Now I understand that these things don't all happen on day one because I've been around many different systems and have to deal with "bugs" myself all the time. Random person thinking of donating to the Kickstarter taking a look at the forums and seeing that you can't even format paragraphs might have some concern.

I want this endeavour to not only succeed, but wildly surpass the teams expectations. So I believe (without knowing if the MWM team is going to push a new template/layout/design to the website before Monday) that peoples concerns should be taken seriously. Afterall, we all want it to succeed.
Rezelius

Next

Return to General